T-Mark Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is a full-service HVAC contractor and AC service in Ellicottville, NY, as well as a residential electrician in Amherst, NY and Orchard Park, NY. They offer a wide variety of services to keep your home in top condition, but there are some maintenance tasks that you can do yourself to keep your home running smoothly. Here are some DIY tips from T-Mark to help you maintain your home.
1. Change your air filter. One of the most important maintenance tips is to change your air filter every 3 months. A dirty filter restricts air flow, which can cause your HVAC system to work harder and cost you more in energy bills. Make sure you have the right size of filter for your unit and replace it regularly.
2. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be tested monthly and their batteries should be changed twice a year. If your detectors are more than 10 years old, you should consider replacing them.
3. Clean your bathroom and kitchen vents. Hair, dust, and other debris can clog your bathroom and kitchen vents, causing them to work inefficiently. Once a month, you should clean the vents with a vacuum attachment and make sure to check for signs of mold or mildew.
4. Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can cause water damage to your home, so it is important to clean them out regularly. You can use a garden hose to clean out your gutters or use a pressure washer to get out any stubborn debris.
5. Test your electric outlets. Make sure you test your electric outlets regularly to make sure they are working properly. Also check for any outlets that may be loose or have frayed wires. If you find any problems, call a residential electrician to have them fixed.
6. Clean your dryer vent. Lint and other debris can accumulate in dryer vents and cause it to overheat. It is important to clean the vent every 6 months to avoid any potential fires.
7. Check your water heater. It is important to check your water heater regularly for signs of rust or leaks. If you find any signs of damage, you should call a plumbing contractor to have it checked out.
By following these tips from T-Mark Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, you can ensure that your home is running safely and efficiently. To learn more about their services, or to schedule an appointment, visit T-Mark Plumbing, Heating & Cooling today.